Thursday, June 4, 2009

Catching up on American History

Since I was born in Taiwan, a good chunk of my life was spend in Taiwan, under traditional chinese parents. Although most of my significant years are spend in the states, I still feel the need to catch up on the pop culture. Sometimes when people are talking, making jokes, or referencing to certain TV shows or songs... I often feel left out. cuz i have no idea what they are talking about. It's not that I am dumb or anything, I just didn't grow up watching the Gilligan Island, or the Brady Bunch. If you asked me about the stuff in Taiwan during my childhood, i'd probably know most of it.



When Steve found out that I have not watched Star Wars, he got all the DVDs for me and watched them with me. He is such a trooper! He would explain things to me, so i'd understand what's going on. I think my favorite character is Yoda, he is just so serene and in tune with the "Force". On top of that, he fights like no others. The little green thing can jump high. One of my favorite scene is when Yoda just climbed Chubaka, he is just the cutest 500 year old thing i've ever seen. In episode 4, when Luke Skywalker found him on this muddy planet, Yoda just acted like a crazy funny grandpa.

One day I was in the elevator at work, and I saw this flyer with the first line ended with "force". The first thing that came to my mind was the Jedis. The flyer says, " Our mission is to be the Force...." My co worker was in the elevator with me later on of the day, and I made the sound of a light saber, and stance that they do in the movie. She just busted out laughing. Yes, i am catching up on my american history. Star Wars is a must see.


here is the full version of the mission statement:

"Our mission is to be a force
for good throughout the world by empowering people to improve lives with rewarding business opportunities, innovative products, and an enriching, uplifting culture."

Anyway, the next thing I am going to do is.... memorize the Bohemian Rhapsody from Queen. and..... using the slang " ... see a man about a horse" in a sentence!

1 comment:

Sarah Stout said...

Haha... you make me laugh! I'm glad Steve is helping to indoctrinate you into American cultural history. :)